Thursday, October 10, 2013

DELIVER ME FROM WEDNESDAYS!!

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with Wednesdays!  Monday and Tuesday are normal days, but when I waken Wednesday mornings, my thought is always, "Oh dear, it is Wednesday again!"  But I scramble out of bed when I am fully awake and wash my eyes (as the Bobos say)  and head for the den where Dad brings to me my first cup of coffee while he prepares what I want for breakfast.  Yes, I am spoiled by my husband in many ways and I am happy to have it stay that way!

But there is no lingering over breakfast - after eating, we then have devotions, get dressed, and by then it is time to head for the county jail.  I am always a little apprehensive before I hit the jail, wondering what we will face.  We visitors talk a bit and then gather for prayer before we head down those long halls, waiting for doors to be unlocked before us, led  by a prison guard who remains with us during the entire time we have with the ladies.  Most of the guards are also Christians and sympathetic to the gospel being given to the gals.  We are from various denominations and usually five to seven visiting women.  Only once have I been the only one present and had the whole time of an hour and a half to myself.  That was a rough time and I don't want to do that again. 

You never know what you will find when you get to where the girls live.  Some women never come out of their cells, many join us for a time of singing and reading God's Word and asking questions and so forth.  We all prepare something ahead of time and usually have a chance to share something from God with the women.  They love it when we wear something bright and pretty to brighten up their lives. Our apparel is a nice relief from their one piece jail suits - orange stripes, flimsy material, no style -  and they often compliment us on what we are wearing! 0 We get lots of hugs and compliments - we are the bright spot in their boring days.  The women do puzzles and talk to each other, but many just stay in bed, wishing away the day! And sometimes fights break out among them and then the offenders get put in solitary!  What a life....  We always take prayer requests and pray for the women and their families, and often have the opportunity of leading someone to the Lord.  We make sure every inmate has a Bible and most read them avidly and ask questions when we come in each week. 

So that is the beginning of each Wednesday here.  It is also the day our cleaning lady comes so that she can have the house free to clean while we are gone.  When we get home, Dad and I both have prayer requests to get written.  Mine are the missions requests each week for international workers and included as a page in each Sunday bulletin. Each week it is my responsibility to send them in. Dad has jail requests to send to a group of ladies who pray for this ministry. 

Yesterday was our once a month jail committee meeting in the board meeting room at the church.  Those of us who visit in the jail are members of this committee and we usually have some interesting times of discussion and prayer for this ministry.   Home again then for a bit of rest and getting the evening meal ready. 

After eating, it is off to the church, picking up teenage riders for the youth group along the way.  They join the youth and we go straight to the AWANAs for an hour and a half program.  I love my girls and they are all so affectionate at that age.  How privileged I am to help these young girls hide God's Word in their hearts.  I am with a team of four women who help these girls.  

After our assembly meeting, Dad and I find out riders in the youth group and head home to deliver them back to their homes and return to ours!   Maybe I feel my age that evening when we get home, more than any other time in the week.  At the same time, it is great to still be involved in people's lives, the suffering women in jail, the teenagers and the young girls, friends who participate in ministry with us.  We all have a bond among us, and for that reason, even though I am sometimes very weary by nine pm every Wednesday, I can always know that it has been a good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment