Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FAMILY SOLIDARITY............................................

     As I have been mentally researching past events and relationships, I am struck with the great solidarity we enjoy in our extended family.  Even though we live in different countries, we keep in contact with each other. Of course FB and  emails and cheap phone systems help in these days, but this has always been the case.  When one of us suffers, we all want to help.  This is a comfortable way to live. I hurt when people talk to me about their broken family relationships, and just praise the Lord for such a great bunch as you all are!

Another thing which has impressed me is the way we reach out to help each other and others who are hurting.  Opening our hearts and homes (be they ever so humble!) to others comes back as a blessing in our own lives. So keep it up!  When I was a pre-schooler, we lived in the States for some time waiting for the War to stop so we could get back to Africa. My Dad pastored a church in New England, and in that church was a very sad family situation:  the man was drunk most of the time, they were very poor and the woman had some severe mental problems.  So my folks offered to take in young twins from that family to live with us.  I was much younger than they, and I can remember my mom scolding me when I kept asking them if they weren't homesick! I had never known anything but the love of my own home and felt sorry for these displaced kids. This was not an easy thing for my parents, but they lived with us for some time until they could be settled as a family elsewhere.  Many years later I met the girl and she was a student at Nyack College. I was so happy to think that our family had had a part in the big change in her sad life.

In our family, when one hurts, we all hurt and do what we can to help.  I just mention a few of the situations that come to mind........

-  When we were first married, we took in Uncle Dave and Aunt Donna as they had no home in the U.S.  We loved that time as I have written elsewhere.
-  One time Grandma and Grandpa took John in to their home in Florida when he had no place to go.
-  Uncle Dave and Aunt Margot took John in to live with them when they lived in Nyack and he needed a home.
-  Joel and Elin invited John and Jennie to live with them in Coudersport for a time.
-  Mark took in Tawni and Susan when they needed a place to stay.
-  John and Jennie also had Tawni living with them for a time.
-  We had Ruthie living with us in Ouaga while Tim went to his Dad's wedding.
-  We were happy to have Michael come and live with us for a while when he needed a place.
-  Mark and Katy took in John and Jennie when they first came back from Puerto Rico and converted their basement into a little apartment for them.
- Then when John and Jennie had their own place again, they had Daniel living with them for a while.
I have no doubt forgotten some events, but it is so comforting as a family member to know that you are lovingly covered by your other family members.  Thanks to all of you who have opened your homes and your hearts and continue to do so.

A good job for Daniel, a car for Elizabeth, air fare trips for us, the list goes on....... you are gracious people and we love you all!  Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment